Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Eyeballs version 2.0!


Yay! My eyes have been lasered and upgraded! Surgery went well, and now I just kick back with my 'men in black' shades (the world is a really bright place) and wait for for the vision to get better. Technology is amazing. I've been wearing glasses/contacts since 2nd grade, and in 10 minutes of PRK laser surgery, my vision was fabulous!!

My surgeon is great (Dr. Manche, Stanford Laser Center). My optometrist says his work was perfect! I was really nervous about the PRK since the recovery is longer, and more painful than lasik. He went out of his way to make me comfortable and got some of his previous patients to tell me about their experience.

Anyway, I go into the doctor's office and they give me Valium before I go in. I start to giggle like a little school girl, and my sister leads me into the surgery room. The doc. tells me to keep staring at the orange blinky light, which under the influence of the Valium is the most entertaining, spectacular theatrical lights production I had ever seen.

My doctor's fabulous, but he was really bad at small talk this time. He was trying to keep me awake so he started asking about my boyfriend who came with me when I did my right eye in December. I told him the boyfriend's finishing up law school in LA. Doc says, "wow! LA huh? That's a pretty dangerous place for a guy to be without his girlfriend." COME ON DOC!!!!!!

So now the doctor's shooting giant laser beams and scraping my eye while implying that my boyfriend is being distracted by all the boobular women in LA. My sister's staring at me like I'm her next science experiment (she can't wait to try this at home)....and you know what?? I'm still on the Valium and thought everything was absolutely hilarious.

The procedure was over before I knew it, and my sister leads me, still giggling, out of the facility. I really want to thank everyone at Stanford Eye Laser Center. They are amazing, and if I had a third eye, I would totally do it again! Also thank you to everyone who's been driving me around and visiting while I'm recovering.

On another note, I think doctors have a tough job and need to lighten the mood by having a quirky senses of humor. My regular physician once examined me and said, "well..it looks like you're only a little pregnant...JUST KIDDING!!"

No comments: