Tuesday, May 20, 2008

WEP key what?????????

Yesterday morning I was minding my own business at my computer, catching up on emails and drinking coffee when I get a text message from my office roomie, "can you message me the WEP key for the shuttle please. I know the SSID." What the heck kinda secret service tech code is that? I'm glad you know the SSID, the "special-service-identification" or the "secret-society I dominate" whatever that means.

So I text message back what I always say when I don't know what to say..."K! Hold please!" WEP key, WEP key...(as I'm googling the term)...OHH!! Of course!!! The wired equivalent privacy code for the SSID, the service set identifier..absolutely!! I didn't realize you where talking about THAT WEP key. Apparently its the code to access the wireless internet on the shuttle. I ask my co-worker who takes the shuttle too for it, and message my office roomie back. Crisis solved, but I would like to comment some more about this situation...

This whole WEP key for the SSID stuff is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too much trouble for just access to the internet. Seriously!!! I understand secret WEP codes for bank accounts, medical information, credit cards, small children etc, but all this secret code just to get to the internet? I think some security engineers have a LITTLE too much time on their hands....just a thought....

No comments: